6.29.2006

"Our soul waits for the Lord"

I've was feeling very powerless yesterday. Having to delay our walk to the abbey, and not knowing where we could stay (the McClains helped with that). And we've been talking about family and children and all their needs and the unexpected emergencies that come up, and how can I hope to provide for all those without a stable income? Then Heather wrote from Paris saying she's having trouble getting her visa to continue to Nigeria, and there's nothing I can do to help. I don't even know what I'm going to do when I get back to Fredericksburg, since I don't have money for even a bus ticket.

But just before lunch I read these lines, at the end of Psalm 33:

A king is not saved by his great army;
a warrior is not delivered by his great strength.
The war horse is a vain hope for victory,
and by its great might it cannot save.

Behold, the eye of the LORD is on those who fear him,
on those who hope in his steadfast love,
that he may deliver their soul from death,
and keep them alive in famine.

Our soul waits for the LORD;
he is our help and shield.
Yea, our heart is glad in him,
because we trust in his holy name.

Let your steadfast love, O LORD, be upon us,
even as we hope in you.

Wait for the Lord, trust him, hope in his steadfast love. This, perhaps, I can do. I've been practicing.