6.12.2006

first days

Mineral, VA

My feet are sore. And my back, and legs, and ankles. I've gotten soft. I was able to sleep pretty well, though, even in the cold and on concrete. It rained last night and this morning, for seven hours straight, but God had provided a big picnic shelter next to a church. And tomorrow we'll arrive at the Little Flower Catholic Worker farm, where we'll get a couple days rest. (And a shower.)

We've had lots of time to talk together and hear each other's stories. I didn't know Paul very well before we left, but he seems to be a very good partner for this sort of thing, and I'm sure I'll know him well by the time we're done. He's very interested in what God will say to him through our experiences these next five weeks. So am I.

Our first happy surprise was found in our packs the day we left. Someone had secretly tucked some money into each. A little "don't let your left hand know what your right hand is doing." We're very grateful, both for the gift and the way it was given.

And we'll try not to let it go to our heads...