6.02.2006

"he remembered his holy promise"

We've been preparing for a retreat this weekend and also learning to work together. I like the little operation the Mahoneys have here. It's exciting to think this may be a home and community and vocation for Heather and me.

Last night they invited Stephen, a young priest from their church, for dinner and mass in their little chapel. To call him excitable would be a vast understatement. Very charismatic, too. Just before his preaching he stops, looks at me and says, "I think God wants you to come here. I don't usually tell people what God wants, but I think he wants you here."

And after mass Stephen begins flipping through the big bible there (a common practice of his) and asks me where he should stop. Then he read where his finger landed. It was Psalm 105:

O give thanks to the LORD, call on his name,
make known his deeds among the peoples!
Sing to him, sing praises to him,
tell of all his wonderful works!
Glory in his holy name;
let the hearts of those who seek the LORD rejoice!

...He is mindful of his covenant for ever,
...which he confirmed to Jacob as a statute,
to Israel as an everlasting covenant,
saying, "To you I will give the land of Canaan
as your portion for an inheritance."
When they were few in number,
of little account, and sojourners in it,
wandering from nation to nation,
from one kingdom to another people,
he allowed no one to oppress them;
he rebuked kings on their account,
saying, "Touch not my anointed ones,
do my prophets no harm!"

...He spread a cloud for a covering,
and fire to give light by night.
They asked, and he brought quails,
and gave them bread from heaven in abundance.
He opened the rock, and water gushed forth;
it flowed through the desert like a river.
For he remembered his holy promise,
and Abraham his servant.
So he led forth his people with joy,
his chosen ones with singing.
And he gave them the lands of the nations;
and they took possession of the fruit of the peoples' toil

It's a favorite, a great pilgrimage psalm. And it echoes what I wrote in my last entry...