7.18.2005

"from the river of your delights"

Elkhart, IN

As I chanted Psalms 95 and 36 in the simple chapel at Emmaus house this morning, I was overwhelmed with gratitude:

O come, let us sing to the LORD;
let us make a joyful noise to the rock of our salvation!
Let us come into his presence with thanksgiving;
let us make a joyful noise to him with songs of praise!


How precious is thy steadfast love, O God!

The children of men take refuge in the shadow of thy wings.
They feast on the abundance of thy house,
and thou givest them drink from the river of thy delights.

For with thee is the fountain of life;
in thy light do we see light.


Moments from the weekend rose up in my mind:

Heather coming across the gas station parking lot, her shoulders brown and her skirt flowing, happiness on her lips and in her eyes. I should have run to her but I was overwhelmed by the sight and couldn't move. I could only smile and welcome her into my arms.

Gathering around the campfire late into the night with the young people from Reba Place, talking and laughing, and then singing with the guitars, "I am the Lord of the dance, said He..."

Alone, starting the fire again in the quiet morning to pray. "Fanning the flames with the Word!" she said, her bright voice surprising me. (And I was, with my little pocket bible.)

Laughing as Andi and Al Tauber sang ominously "...the day the turkeys fought back."

And meeting Heather's eyes during the chorus of Andru Bemis's last song: "Home for me is where you are."

Then, after the festival, talking with Tim Lowly (a former Reba Place member), when he recognized and thanked Heather and I for being a supportive audience. Heather asked about some of his lyrics and he surprised her by giving her one of his albums.

And, finally, Matthew's sincere prayer for me as they dropped me off last night. "Thank you, Father God."


The gospel reading this morning was Mk 9.14-29:
"...If you can do anything, have pity on us and help us."

And Jesus said to him, "If you can! All things are possible to him who believes."