4.19.2010

"these things you have done and I have been silent"

I happened to read these lines this morning, from Psalms 50 and 51:

Our God comes, he does not keep silence,
before him is a devouring fire,
round about him a mighty tempest.

"Hear, O my people, and I will speak,
O Israel, I will testify against you.
I am God, your God.

"What right have you to recite my teachings,
or take my promises on your lips?
For you hate correction,
and you cast my words behind you.

"You let your mouth loose for evil,
and your tongue shapes dishonesty.
You sit and speak against your brother;
you slander your own mother's son.

"These things you have done and I have been silent;
you thought that I was one like yourself.
But now I rebuke you, and lay the charge before you."



My sacrifice, O God, is a broken spirit;
a broken and contrite heart, O God, you will not despise.