1.22.2009

"necessity is laid upon me"

Another frustration today as we just found out that Fr. Manuel can't make it this weekend for the retreat. Another priest got sick so he has to serve at his church. Tom, from the Ignatian Spirituality Project, is still willing to come so we're preparing a more personalized retreat for him (and we're very glad to have the time with him). But it is still a little disappointing, after so many months of planning. Hopefully Manuel will be able to come another time.

I was thinking a bit more about "...necessity is laid upon me. Woe to me if I do not preach the gospel!" That's not something you need to say if things are going well and the work is popular and successful. Paul faced more disappointments and struggles and setbacks than we ever will, I'm sure. But he felt he had no choice but continue on the path God had put him on.

Perhaps we're being reminded again that our plans are of little importance. All that matters is the work God is doing, and we need to just be open to what is given to us and listen for the next steps we are to take. It is not our work and we are not responsible for its success.

Thank God.