10.18.2009

someone watching over me

I got restless in church this morning, so slipped out before it was over and went for a walk. Beautiful fall weather. And the road just south of the farm is perfect for walking, fields and woods mingled, with no houses, only a couple barns along the mile and a half stretch. The road twists and rise and falls, with deer trails crossing it often. Huge old trees shade it in places.

And a couple big red-tailed hawks live along there; I see them often, circling far overhead. Last week one of the guys we met through our retreats for Emmaus Ministries was with us for a week-long personal retreat. I took a couple long walks with him and once we saw one of the hawks, perched high up in a tree close to the road. When we got near he launched and disappeared over the woods.

Today I didn't see them, but as I got back to the farm I heard them calling to each other again and again. An eerie sound. (Go here to hear it, and find more info about red-tailed hawks.)