7.05.2008

a few left

I really enjoyed being out in the strawberry fields this morning, gleaning. The season is over but a few berries remain. I found two and a half quarts of beautiful ripe strawberries that showed up on our homemade shortcake at lunch, with Heather making the rest (with others she picked) into jam right now.

It was great to be out searching for the remaining treasures in the wide field, not for any market but just to enjoy them, and keep them from being wasted. I had contacted some other gleaners as well, "Gleaners for the Lord," who donate the produce to the poor. Unfortunately they couldn't get people to come on this holiday weekend. But they probably will come later in the season, for corn or tomatoes or melons. I remember writing about them last year; now I'm able to help keep the farm connected with them.