1.04.2008

"I do not want to succumb"

A couple days ago, Tatiana commented, "I do not want to succumb to believing that to be faithful means that I'll mostly just be happy."

I think that most Christians do associate a happy demeanor with being a good Christian. This probably is derived from Paul's exhortations to "rejoice always," and perhaps also the desire to be attractive and uplifting to others (and cheerfulness is seen as attractive and uplifting). But I don't see Jesus acting cheerful all the time.

As G.K. Chesterton pointed out in my "meditation for the party-goer," Jesus often showed anger and frustration and grief, yet there are very few recorded instances of his rejoicing or overt happiness. He of all people had the deepest source of joy, the most intimate and constant connection with God. But he apparently didn't express that joy often with people by being cheerful, or even (as is popular with many religious figures) blissfully serene.

It seems that in this respect most Christians are actually the opposite of Jesus; they lack (as I wrote yesterday) the continual connection with God that is the true source of joy and yet they make a great effort to be always rejoicing and cheerful. Should it surprise us that this is seen as false, or hypocritical?