12.17.2007

more than optimism

Those who trust in the Lord are like Mount Zion,
which cannot be moved, but abides for ever. (Ps 125.1)

I've written a lot about dependence on God (including my last entry); I think it's the meaning of faith, and the essence of the spiritual life, the ultimate purpose of our existence. I thought of it again this morning as I read these lines.

But trusting God means more than just expecting God to bring success to our own plans and efforts; it's more than blind optimism based on how contritely we pray, "I trust you, God." We can't just trust God for results, for things to turn out well. We have to trust God for the beginning, not just for the end. We have to depend on God for the inspiration and guidance that will set our path and direct our choices and actions in the manner he would have us act. We have to trust God to give us the patience and faithfulness to avoid compromise and stay with his way and his purpose. And then we continue to trust God, to bring what he started to his completion.

Then we can expect "all these things" to be provided, as Jesus promised. Then we are "like Mount Zion, which cannot be moved, but abides for ever."