9.05.2006

psalm 105 revisited

It's interesting to see pilgrimage themes coming up again, though I'm not thinking about walking anytime soon (but actually looking for a place to stay long term). For example, a recent entry about being at home in God wherever we are, rather than home being a particular place. And yesterday's thoughts about the Christian life as a narrow road.

Not long ago I came across Psalm 105 again, the one chosen for me back in June. Back then, I focused on the coming into the promised land parts, and was very much disappointed when we were immediately kicked out of what I thought might be the place God had prepared for us. But when I looked at the psalm again recently, I noticed that the majority of it describes the two great Hebrew pilgrimages, Abraham's and the Exodus. I like these lines especially:

When they were few in number,
of little account, and sojourners in it,
wandering from nation to nation,
from one kingdom to another people,
he allowed no one to oppress them;
he rebuked kings on their account, saying,
"Touch not my anointed ones,
do my prophets no harm!"


He spread a cloud for a covering,
and fire to give light by night.
They asked, and he brought quails,
and gave them bread from heaven in abundance.
He opened the rock, and water gushed forth;
it flowed through the desert like a river.
For he remembered his holy promise,
and Abraham his servant.
So he led forth his people with joy,
his chosen ones with singing.

It certainly says more about the experience of the narrow road than about the promised land...