8.23.2006

hospitality and home

Recently I came across the idea that hospitality is about giving attention to the guest. Having lived for several years in houses dedicated to hospitality, and also having received quite a bit of hospitality myself, that made sense to me. And it reminded me of Simone Weil's words about attention and love. I also liked the thought that we can offer hospitality even if we don't have a house to welcome people into. (Maybe that's more interesting to me now that my hopes of having a place to offer hospitality are getting dimmer...) I'd certainly like to think Jesus offered hospitality, even when he himself was homeless.

At the same time, I read something else related to this, in the Psalms. It had to do with finding our home in God. (Then I remembered I wrote about this a year ago.) From Psalms 90 and 91:

LORD, you have been our dwelling place
in all generations. (Ps 90.1)

He who dwells in the shelter of the Most High,
who abides in the shadow of the Almighty,
will say to the LORD, "My refuge and my fortress;
my God, in whom I trust."

Because you have made the LORD your refuge,
the Most High your habitation,
no evil shall befall you,
no scourge come near your tent. (Ps 91.1-2,9-10)


I'm not sure how these are related exactly. Being at home in God, wherever we are. Welcoming others into that, by our attention (love), whether or not we have a physical place to offer. A new understanding of hospitality that I need to absorb more...