8.03.2006

stability

I rode along to Plow Creek farm yesterday to pick up produce to bring back to Evanston, part of a CSA set up between the communities here and there. And of course talked about my hopes to work out a retreat ministry at Plow Creek.

A lot of my plans and ideas are based on Jesus' teaching and life, but they sound pretty far-fetched from a practical point of view. A friend even said, "Jesus' way just doesn't work." And it's hard to disagree, given what happened when Jesus tried to live it. It also seems way too unstable and insecure for family life.

But I was encouraged by these words of Jesus this morning:

"Every one who comes to me and hears my words and does them, I will show you what he is like: He is like a man building a house, who dug deep, and laid the foundation upon rock; and when a flood arose, the stream broke against that house, and could not shake it, because it had been well built. But he who hears and does not do them is like a man who built a house on the ground without a foundation; against which the stream broke, and immediately it fell, and the ruin of that house was great." (Lk 6.47-49)