5.04.2006

nice surprise

Last week a guy who has come here often, almost always drunk, showed up asking for help with a prescription. He was visibly shaking. It was the DTs, he said, but he had gotten a prescription to calm his nerves and slow his heart rate, he just didn't have the money to get it filled. Then, when I was walking with him to the drug store, he told me he couldn't go in since he had been banned from the store for a loud argument he had there with his girlfriend. So we walked up to the drive-thru window to get the medication.

Well, yesterday he shows up again. And pays me back--and even insists I take $5 "interest"! He said he was going around to everyone, "settling up." He wished me good luck on our upcoming travels.

Also I noticed he was wearing a T-shirt I had put in the free clothes box. (It was Heather's shirt from college; she had passed it on to me.) This guy has had his share of woman problems, so I smiled thinking of him walking around wearing the T-shirt with this Shakespeare quotation emblazoned across the chest:

Get thee to a nunnery! Why wouldst thou be a breeder of sinners?