10.05.2005

good morning

"...joy comes with the morning." (Ps 30.5)

It was quiet this morning. Like the calm after a storm. I got up and made coffee, then woke up Heather. When I came back, Mary was cooking bacon and waffles in the kitchen. The morning sun was streaming in through the large round glass of the front door.

I sat down with a cup of coffee and chanted Psalm 95. "In his hand are the depths of the earth; the heights of the mountains are his also. The sea is his, for he made it; for his hands formed the dry land." I heard the kids moving around above me. They pounded down the stairs and stumbled happily with their backpacks out the front door, to walk to school. Janine shuffled by in her slippers to get some breakfast. It felt peaceful, domestic.

It didn't even bother me much when Willy showed up. He had been in a scuffle yesterday and been banned from the house, then barged in last night and grabbed some food, upsetting the women here. I went out to him and listened to him yell for a while. Then I asked him if he wanted something to eat. When I brought out two sandwiches and some orange juice, and said he could sit on the porch and eat them, he apologized for yelling. I went back inside to finish my prayers and coffee. When I checked later, he was gone.

"For he is our God, and we are the people of his pasture, and the sheep of his hand." This morning I felt that God had things securely in hand. When I went back to the other house, Heather was praying quietly. It made me feel happy and safe. It was a good morning.