5.17.2004

i'm alive

This song was part of Sunday worship here. It moved me so much I could barely sing:

"Jesus said to him, 'Why do you call me good? No one is good but God alone.'" (Mk 10.18)

"Call no man your father on earth, for you have one Father, who is in heaven. Neither be called masters, for you have one master, the Christ." (Mt 23.9-10)


You alone

You are
the only one I need
I bow all of me at your feet
I worship you alone.

You have
given more than I could
ever have wanted
and I want
to give you my heart and my soul

You alone are father
and you alone are good
You alone are Savior
and you alone are God

I'm alive, I'm alive, I'm alive, I'm alive!

You alone are father
and you alone are good
You alone are Savior
and you alone are God


This morning I asked Heather if I could join her "walking briskly" to the train station on her way to work. She smiled and said yes. I love how she says yes.
Do I make my plans like a worldly man, ready to say Yes and No at once? As surely as God is faithful, our word to you has not been Yes and No.

For the Son of God, Jesus Christ... was not Yes and No; but in him it is always Yes. For all the promises of God find their Yes in him. (2 Cor 1.17-20)
We broke into a run at one point. That was fun.


She's also been encouraging me not to make up my mind so quickly, but hear people out. It makes me think of this Dilbert I clipped a while back:





We stayed up late last night watching The Matrix and talking. At one point I read this great passage in 1 Cor 2:
As it is written, "What no eye has seen, nor ear heard, nor the heart of man conceived, what God has prepared for those who love him," God has revealed to us through the Spirit.

For the Spirit searches everything, even the depths of God. For who knows a person's thoughts except the spirit of the person which is within? So also no one comprehends the thoughts of God except the Spirit of God.

Now we have received not the spirit of the world, but the Spirit which is from God, that we might understand the gifts bestowed on us by God. And we impart this in words not taught by human wisdom but taught by the Spirit, interpreting spiritual truths to those who possess the Spirit. The unspiritual person does not receive the gifts of the Spirit of God, for they are folly to them, and they are not able to understand them because they are spiritually discerned.

Spiritual persons judge all things, but are themselves judged by no one. "For who has known the mind of the Lord so as to instruct him?" But we have the mind of Christ.
Here Paul emphasizes the Spirit as Wisdom, Teacher, Revealer, Guide. Other passages that speak of this:
"...the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, he will teach you all things, and bring to your remembrance all that I have said to you." (Jn 14.26)

The anointing which you received from him abides in you, and you have no need that any one should teach you; as his anointing teaches you about everything, and is true, and is no lie, just as it has taught you, abide in him. (1 Jn 2.27)

This is the covenant which I will make with the house of Israel after those days, says the Lord: I will put my law within them, and I will write it upon their hearts; and I will be their God, and they shall be my people. And no longer shall each man teach his brother, saying, 'Know the Lord,' for they shall all know me, from the least to the greatest, says the Lord... (Jer 31.33-34; also quoted in Heb 8, describing the new covenant mediated by Jesus)


And talk of the Spirit always makes me think of Jesus praying "...that the love with which thou hast loved me may be in them...." (Jn 17.26) That's the best description of the Holy Spirit I've seen. Though Meister Eckhart did a pretty good job too:
The best masters say that the love wherewith we love is the Holy Spirit. Some deny it. But this is always true: all those motives by which we are moved to love, in these is nothing else than the Holy Spirit.