1.10.2016

the Lord has kept my feet from stumbling

During prayer this morning I remembered some lines from Psalm 116 that I used to pray often, especially during the years I was on the road. I liked the Grail version best:

I love the Lord for he has heard the cry of my appeal;
for he turned his ear to me in the day when I called him.

They surrounded me, the snares of death, with the anguish of the tomb;
they caught me, sorrow and distress.

I called on the Lord's name: O Lord, my God, deliver me!

How gracious is the Lord, and just; our God has compassion.
The Lord protects the simple hearts; I was helpless so he saved me.

Turn back, my soul, to your rest, for the Lord has been good;
he has kept my soul from death, my eyes from tears,
and my feet from stumbling.

I will walk in the presence of the Lord in the land of the living.