7.25.2013

holy is your name

We're thinking of trying evening prayer together regularly and I'd like to use this song by David Haas, based on Mary's magnificat (Lk 1.46-55). It's sung to the tune of the Scottish folk song "Wild Mountain Thyme":

My soul is filled with joy
as I sing to God my Saviour:
you have looked upon your servant,
you have visited your people.

Refrain:
And holy is your name
through all generations!
Everlasting is your mercy
to the people you have chosen,
and holy is your name!

I am lowly as a child,
but I know from this day forward
that my name will be remembered
and the world will call me blessèd.
Refrain

I proclaim the pow'r of God!
You do marvels for your servants;
though you scatter the proud-hearted
and destroy the might of princes.
Refrain

To the hungry you give food,
send the rich away empty.
In your mercy you are mindful
of the people you have chosen.
Refrain

In your love you now fulfill
what you promised to our fathers.
I will praise the Lord, my Saviour.
Everlasting is your mercy.
Refrain