8.26.2009

"by what authority?"

I've been thinking about leadership and authority again lately. Because of some recent discussions on the topic, and the current need for more leadership here on the farm (and the difficulties involving authority; for some there's too much, for others not enough). I looked back at some journal entries on authority early last year, and then put them together into an article for Jesus Manifesto: "By what authority?"

Last fall I stepped back from the leadership discussions here, mostly because it seemed they could end only in the usual form of leadership, elected and empowered by the people. But that collapsed. And the need for leadership is even greater now (and it's hard to see where it might come from). I wonder if folks might be more open to leadership without authority, at least without humanly-granted authority. Perhaps a decentralized leadership by volunteers. If so, I'd be willing to help.