2.09.2007

in God's image

Now that it seems there is a realistic possibility for family life for Heather and me, I've been thinking more concretely about marriage. Yesterday I was looking at some scripture passages that pertain to marriage. I've written before that I don't like how the emphasis at weddings is usually on what the couple is doing (committing to one another), or what the community is doing (sanctioning and supporting the marriage). It seems far more important to me what God is doing. The married couple are "what God has joined together."

So I focused on God's role and purpose in marriage, both for those who are married and for all who can see in marriage a symbol of God's love, God's desire, God's faithfulness, God's unity. Here's the first three passages I really liked (and may want to use in a wedding ceremony):


God created man in his own image,
in the image of God he created him;
male and female he created them.

And God saw everything that he had made,
and behold, it was very good.
(Gen 1.27,31)


My beloved speaks and says to me:

"Arise, my love, my fair one, and come away;
for lo, the winter is past,
the rain is over and gone.
The flowers appear on the earth,
the time of singing has come,
and the voice of the turtledove
is heard in our land.
The fig tree puts forth its figs,
and the vines are in blossom;
they give forth fragrance.
Arise, my love, my fair one,
and come away.

"O my dove, in the clefts of the rock,
in the covert of the cliff,
let me see your face,
let me hear your voice,
for your voice is sweet,
and your face is comely.

"Catch us the foxes, the little foxes,
that spoil the vineyards,
for our vineyards are in blossom."
(Song 2.10-15)


The mountains may depart
and the hills be removed,
but my steadfast love shall not depart from you,
and my covenant of peace shall not be removed,
says the LORD
(Is 54.10)