2.19.2006

holiness

It was good to be back among friends at Reba Place church this morning. The music was great; they always do a lot of spirituals in February for Black history month (Heather's aunt Helen is on the piano).

And they did this song:

Holiness, holiness is what I long for
Holiness is what I need
Holiness, holiness is what You want from me
So, take my heart and form it
Take my mind, transform it
Take my will, conform it
To Yours, to Yours, oh, Lord
Faithfulness, faithfulness is what I long for
Faithfulness is what I need
Faithfulness, faithfulness is what You want from me

Brokenness, brokenness is what I long for
Brokenness is what I need
Brokenness, brokenness is what You want from me

I liked the brokenness verse. And I'd just been thinking about holiness. Reading a 12-step commentary on 1 Peter 1.14-16:
As obedient children, do not be conformed to the passions of your former ignorance, but as he who called you is holy, be holy yourselves in all your conduct; since it is written, "You shall be holy, for I am holy."
But the commentary was marred by the overly psychological interpretation (a frequent problem in 12-step programs): "Being holy simply means having a fully integrated personality."

I know holiness means a lot more than that. The Hebrew word means also "set apart," and that aspect is very clear in God's guidance for his people in the Old Testament. I think Jesus also was very aware of this; he was definitely set apart, though his way of being set apart was somewhat different, more in his spirit and way of living.

This "being set apart" may also be connected with the nature of Jesus' community, and how he managed to gather the anawim to himself...