7.20.2004

"He has filled the hungry with good things"

I'm going to the Ekklesia Project conference today, to participate in some discussions on poverty (speaking up for voluntary, holy, "blessed are the poor" poverty). I was originally invited to be a presenter. But the high registration fee made me change my mind, so I'm going today as an unregistered participant. That little protest makes me a bit nervous. But I like going there as an undistinguished, un-name-tagged poor person (not a "paying customer" or official presenter) and I like having the freedom to move in and out of institutional forums like this one, interacting there without being tied to them or limited by them. Because that's how I see Jesus acting. And it's very good.

I also like the theme of the conference (Mary's "Magnificat" from Luke 1):

Mary said,

"My soul glorifies the Lord,
and my spirit rejoices in God my Savior,
for he has looked on his servant in her lowliness.
Therefore all ages will call me blessed.
He who is mighty has done great things for me
and holy is his name;
his mercy is on those who fear him
from generation to generation.
He has shown strength with his arm,
scattering the haughty;
he has cast the mighty from their thrones,
and lifted up the lowly.
He has filled the hungry with good things,
but the rich he has sent away empty..."



(I know this doesn't say "he has filled the hungry with good things" in quite the same way, but I thought it was funny...)