6.21.2004

falling on my face

It seems I had a great fall last Sunday morning (I don't remember, but I don't think I was prideful just before that...). Fell pretty hard, too: broken nose, concussion, amnesia, and lots of bruises. Spent four nights in the hospital. And though they did lots of major tests (spinal tap, two CT scans, chest x-ray, MRI, EEG, and multiple blood tests) the doctors couldn't figure out what happened, other than that the fever I had seemed to indicate some kind of infection. Weird.

Now I'm curious to see what happens about the (very large) bill, since I don't have insurance. I told them that right away. The care was good, though, and they didn't spare any expense or test. A good sign was that I didn't have to pay for the antibiotics the doctor prescribed (to finish the treatment). We'll see how St. Francis hospital handles a poor man...

Then this past weekend I went to Plow Creek farm to visit Erin. It was great. A perfect place to recuperate. We picked strawberries and Erin made some strawberry-rhubarb pies (like Mom used to make when I was a kid). Her sister also came and Heather, too. So it was a fun gathering. I'm so glad I didn't miss it, especially since Erin just got back from Colombia and is leaving soon for Canada (on another CPT assignment).

At one point, Heather asked about what I thought heaven would be like. And this weekend did seem to have heavenly aspects for me. I don't know if it was being detached from my normal routine by the hospital stay, or the rush of new strength after being in bed so long, or just the joy of being with good friends in a beautiful place, but I got this feeling of eternity there. Time seemed suspended. It felt like we had been there a long time together, and yet it was as if the minutes weren't passing at all (and I was happy about that!). Made me think of 2 Peter 3.8:

...with the Lord
one day is as a thousand years,
and a thousand years
as one day.