6.03.2007

the beginning steps

I've been seeking other ministries to visit during our walk later this summer, but I've had a hard time getting responses, and most of them seem much less developed than the one in Boston. Which was a bit discouraging, because I thought those visits would be a major focus on our walk.

Then, looking over AA's 12 steps recently, I was reminded that the most critical part of the path of transformation is the beginning steps of faith. The steps that have to be taken over and over again. Throwing ourselves into the arms of God (see "In God I Trust"). I think the 12 step program describes this pretty well in the first three steps (slightly edited here):

  1. We admitted we were powerless, that our lives had become unmanageable
  2. Came to believe that a Power greater than ourselves could restore our lives
  3. Made a decision to turn our will and our lives over to the care of God

I had been thinking that what we would be looking for on our walk was practical ideas from other spiritual ministries to the poor. But, while I do think these will be helpful, it's much more important for us to learn the movements of faith deeply and well. Especially in situations of extreme need. Because that's what the people will be facing who come to us on retreat. They need to be shown (or reinforced in) real faith, the willingness to risk everything, in the midst of serious, actual threats, when it seems so utterly dark all around.

I've learned much about this on my many walks so far, and I'm sure the lessons will continue on this walk (especially since Heather will be with me this time). So this walk will be different, but maybe not so different after all.