2.10.2007

"that they may be one even as we are one"

Marriage seems first of all to be a gift of God, meant to share with us something about God himself. The three scripture passages I quoted yesterday focus on God's desire for us, and his faithfulness, two aspects of love that are especially apparent in (a good) marriage. These next three passages focus more on the unity of God, and the unity he offers us (with himself and with one another). The perfect unity of love.


[Jesus said to them] "From the beginning of creation, 'God made them male and female.' 'For this reason a man shall leave his father and mother and be joined to his wife, and the two shall become one flesh.' So they are no longer two but one flesh. What therefore God has joined together, let not man put asunder." (Mk 10.6-9)


"I do not pray for these only, but also for those who believe in me through their word, that they may all be one; even as you, Father, are in me, and I in you, that they also may be in us, so that the world may believe that you have sent me.

"The glory which you have given me I have given to them, that they may be one even as we are one, I in them and you in me, that they may become perfectly one, so that the world may know that you have sent me and have loved them even as you have loved me." (Jn 17.20-23)


Beloved, let us love one another; for love is of God, and he who loves is born of God and knows God. He who does not love does not know God; for God is love. (1 Jn 4.7-8)


I think together these six passages would be a good presentation of the meaning of marriage, the meaning for all of us, focusing on marriage as a work and gift of God. In a wedding, they could lead up to the vows (or maybe a mutual confessing of faith and love?). Then perhaps breaking into celebration with Psalm 34: O magnify the LORD with me... Look to him, and be radiant...