9.29.2005

"God knows why"

Last night we found out one of our guests has had alcohol problems, when she got some bad news about her kids and had too much to drink (after a month of sobriety). Heather and I ended up driving her to her sister's place, because she wanted to get out of the house, and it was raining and dark and we were worried she would go out walking alone.

On the hour-long drive she started singing softly. A favorite of hers, by Kid Rock. These words caught my ear:

People don't know about the things I say and do
They don't understand about the shit I've been through
Its been so long since I've been home
I've been gone, I've been gone way too long
Maybe I've forgotten all the things I miss
Oh, somehow I know there is more to life than this

...So I think I'll keep a walking with my head held high
I'll keep moving on and only God knows why
Only God, Only God,
Only God knows why