6.27.2005

the weekend in Cleveland

From the readings at mass yesterday...

2 Kings 4.8-10:

One day Elisha went on to Shunem, where a wealthy woman lived, who urged him to eat some food. So whenever he passed that way, he would turn in there to eat food. And she said to her husband, "Behold now, I perceive that this is a holy man of God, who is continually passing our way. Let us make a small roof chamber with walls, and put there for him a bed, a table, a chair, and a lamp, so that whenever he comes to us, he can go in there."
Makes me think of Dorothy Day's hope that all Christians would have a "Christ room" in their homes, to be ready to take in those who needed a place to stay. A good idea. And some Christians are already doing it; I've stayed in many Christ rooms along the way.


Mt 10.39-40:
"He who finds his life will lose it, and he who loses his life for my sake will find it.

"He who receives you receives me, and he who receives me receives him who sent me."
Two of my favorite sayings of Jesus. Especially since I've been walking. This past week has offered many opportunities to talk about Jesus and my walking experiences--losing our lives for his sake, receiving others and being received--though each conversation had its own unique emphasis:
With Joe, as we watered flowers and tomatoes, its was about giving and receiving as gifts, rather than for money or trade. "You received without paying, give without pay." (Mt 10.8)

With Elizabeth, doing dishes at the Storefront, it was about finding friends everywhere, since she's moving to a new college this fall.

With Maria, a young Maryknoll sister, it was about struggling for ideals, specifically relating to the problems of economics and politics in big religious institutions.

With Megan, laying on the grass after Maria's presentation about Zimbabwe, it was about risk taking and the challenge of our families' fears, since she's about to go on a long bicycle trip alone.

With Meagan, as we planted and weeded in the the house garden, it was about courage and the importance of close, supportive relationships when living and working with the poor.

And with Jesse, who wanted me to jump off the pier into Lake Erie with him and Marlo (who jumped in a dress, by the way). "You're about trusting God, right?" he said.

I sagely reminded him that Jesus chose not to jump off the pinnacle of the temple...