6.24.2011

for example

From one of the conversations I mentioned yesterday:

There's a big difference between being crucified and crucifying ourselves through endless work and burnout.

What about this?
Come to me, all who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me; for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls.

For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.
I don't quite see why you'd blame burnout on Jesus. I don't see him telling us "work, work, there's always more to do." That's the activist message, the message of "work as if it all depends on you." That's not Jesus' message. I think if we're actually (in humility) following what Jesus is asking of us, and not our own sense of what has to happen now, then we'll soon find his promise of rest and light burdens true. Persecutions, yes, but not the self-persecution of the endless "there's always more I can do."

That's not a criticism but hopefully an alternative to "pure exhaustion." Hopefully good news for many of us here.

...I do think offering a good example to others is often better than anything we can give to them or do for them. The primary "thing" Jesus offered was found in the words "follow me." But if the example we are setting is a life of endless work and exhaustion, I don't think that's the life of the kingdom of God that Jesus was inviting the poor into (who already have a life of endless work and exhaustion).

In Jesus' life, God did the heavy lifting. Jesus mostly just spoke a word.