3.27.2009

greater than great feats

The seventy returned with joy, saying, "Lord, even the demons are subject to us in your name!" And he said to them, "I saw Satan fall like lightning from heaven. Behold, I have given you authority to tread upon serpents and scorpions, and over all the power of the enemy; and nothing shall hurt you.

"Nevertheless do not rejoice in this, that the spirits are subject to you; but rejoice that your names are written in heaven." (Lk 10.17-20)

Another saying of Jesus that came to mind while thinking on the "great feats" question. Somehow this has been very important for me. I don't know if it's my version of the midlife crisis, or what, but it's been a tremendous relief lately to be reminded that spiritual growth and progress don't necessarily mean continual feats of spiritual heroism. Or experiencing miracle after miracle in our lives.

I'm not exactly sure what got me into those inflated expectations. Maybe my overwhelming dissatisfaction with the mediocrity and un-inspiring-ness of churches and Christians. And then my experiences coming out of the Navy, and then the years walking. Even our arrival and acceptance here at the farm seemed to be an exciting act of God. But it's been hard to keep up that level of exciting, inspiring happenings. And I think that's caused a growing uncertainty and anxiety in me.

Not that I dismiss those exciting, "great feats" moments. There are many in Jesus' life, he promises them to his disciples (like in the lines above), and they are thrilling and faith-building for us and others. But Jesus also says do not rejoice in those amazing acts but "that your names are written in heaven." Which is not just to say rejoice that we are going to heaven but that we are included among God's people. And, as I've written before, I equate this with "the remnant," the anawim, God's faithful poor who look to him as the helper of the helpless. Becoming and being one of them, saved and protected and provided for by God, trusting our lives to him alone, is more important than great feats, even if they are great feats done for God.

Faithfully living as one of God's lowly ones is a greater accomplishment, and the truer source of blessedness, than any "mighty work" that we might do or experience. I think I'm actually starting to understand and believe that.