10.02.2007

"glorify your name"

Jonesboro, GA

Alice served us Belgian pecan waffles for breakfast and drove us well out of the city this morning. A good visit with her, and a chance to get to know each other. We also visited Heather's cousin Madell and her family in Atlanta, and they surprised us with a belated wedding gift. So we're in very good shape as we start walking south again.

Praying in the library I came across these words of Jesus, as his arrest and trial nears:

"Now is my soul troubled. And what shall I say? 'Father, save me from this hour'? No, for this purpose I have come to this hour. Father, glorify your name."

Then a voice came from heaven, "I have glorified it, and I will glorify it again." The crowd standing by heard it and said that it had thundered. (Jn 12.27-29)

I've been thinking about our experiences as "nobodies" on this trip, and about how our experience has been markedly different during the past month. I'm feeling I'm being shown something, perhaps something to do with this prayer in the midst of threats, "Father, glorify your name."