8.15.2007

"in her lowliness"

West Chester, PA

One of the best expressions of God reaching out to "nobodies" through Jesus are Mary's words in Luke 1, a song we've made a part of our prayer time:

My soul glorifies the Lord,
My spirit rejoices in God, my Saviour.
He looks on his servant in her lowliness;
Henceforth all ages will call me blessed.

He puts forth his arm in strength
And scatters the proud-hearted.
He casts the mighty from their thrones
And raises the lowly.
He fills the starving with good things,
Sends the rich away empty.

This past week has brought to mind what I asked for just before we left on the walk, "to be nobody." An experience of being ignored and overlooked, or eyed suspiciously through a locked door, or taken advantage of by those who own and control the necessities of life. Being very much outside the structure and normal working of society. And not even having the chance to engage and have a good discussion with anyone all week, so I could feel like I was "ministering." Having to just wait (and continue to wait) until God decides what to do with me.

But recognizing this as a fuller experience of being part of Jesus' kingdom of nobodies, I don't regret it. It reminds me of the verse I contemplated often when I began walking over seven years ago: "He who finds his life will lose it, and he who loses his life for my sake will find it." (Mt 10.39)

I think this may also be very helpful in our interactions with those who come for retreats, those who are used to being nobodies in society. Helping them see that "salvation" doesn't mean becoming a upstanding, productive citizen in the society that is so set against them, that Jesus was rejected by society as well. Where they stand right now, as nobodies, they're already closer to the kingdom of God.