8.25.2004

waiting on

Maybe the best phrase that describes true service is "to wait on." As in a restaurant, where servers are commonly called "waiters." But in any situation, the one in the subservient position can be seen because he is the one who waits, waiting for the people he serves to call on him or make up their minds or finish what they are doing. The one who waits, the servant, is not in control. And "waiting on" someone is always a humbling experience.

Now think of most of our Christian "service" ministries--who does the waiting? The benefactors, the "servers," or those standing out in the bread line?


This also brings to mind Jesus' example leading up to cross. He demonstrates love not in active labor but in endurance. Submitting to the decisions and treatment of others towards him. Humble waiting. Waiting to see what they would choose to do with him.

Yesterday I found out another doctor cancelled my bill, which means almost all the bills (about $28,000) have been cancelled now. But another doctor's billing company called and it looks like they will not cancel their bill (they did offer a 50% discount but I still can't pay $450). If I do not pay, the woman said it would be sent to the collections department. Which means legal action, I think.

I'm ready to go that path (though I'm very disappointed). Grateful to God that all the larger bills went away, and even glad to have a chance to more fully explain why I can't pay and also to challenge the inflated costs and depersonalized bureaucracy of our medical system. But I'm not looking forward to it. I imagine it will be a long, stressful process. Which means a big part of my service to all those involved in this process will be waiting on them...