6.03.2004

"all who desire to live a godly life..."

Overheard during the breakfast reading this morning (2 Tim 3.12; my italics):

Indeed all who desire to live a godly life in Christ Jesus will be persecuted...

Sounds like Jesus:
"If the world hates you, know that it has hated me before it hated you. If you were of the world, the world would love its own; but because you are not of the world, but I chose you out of the world, therefore the world hates you.

"Remember the word that I said to you, 'A servant is not greater than his master.' If they persecuted me, they will persecute you; if they kept my word, they will keep yours also. But all this they will do to you on my account, because they do not know him who sent me." (Jn 15.18-21)
Not that we hate others, but the prediction that they will hate us (and we should not worry or be confused by this). This is not just being teased or called names, either. But the kind of thing Jesus faced: hatred. And why?
Even his brothers did not believe in him. Jesus said to them, "My time has not yet come, but your time is always here. The world cannot hate you, but it hates me because I testify of it that its works are evil." (Jn 7.5-7)