3.15.2012

"even the sparrow"

The day before yesterday I climbed up to close some spaces under the eaves where bids had gotten into the building and built nests last year. Then yesterday morning I noticed a couple sparrows up there. It seemed unlikely that they had laid eggs this early, but they were trying really hard to get in where I had closed a hole. Then, for a moment, I thought I heard some tiny little peeps.

I quickly climbed back up and opened that hole. I was feeling especially compassionate to their efforts, I suppose, because we recently found out that Heather is pregnant.


It reminded me of these lines from one of Heather's favorite Psalms:

Even the sparrow finds a home,
and the swallow a nest for herself,
where she may lay her young,
at thy altars, O Lord of hosts,
my King and my God.