2.04.2010

wayfaring stranger

I'm planning to use the "strangers and exiles" idea for worship this Sunday. And there's some good music by the psalters (who played here two summers ago) that works with that theme. Here's a favorite, "Wayfaring Stranger," their version of a well-known old spiritual:

Wayfaring Stranger

I'm just a poor wayfaring stranger
trav'ling through a world of woe.‭
‬Ain't no sickness,‭ ‬toil nor danger
in that bright land I'm headed for.‭
‬I'm going there to see my Father,‭
‬says he'll meet me when I come.‭
‬I'm only going over Jordan‭;
‬I'm only going over home.‭

‬I'll soon be done with earthly trials,‭
‬my body sleepin‭' ‬in the ol‭' ‬churchyard.‭
‬I'll drop this cross of self-denial,‭
‬and enter on my great reward.‭
‬I'm going there to see my Father
says he'll meet me when I come.‭
‬I'm only going over Jordan‭;
‬I'm only going over home.‭

‬Better is one day in your house
Better is one day in your courts
than a thousand elsewhere