1.16.2009

"in God alone"




I prepared a Taizé communion service yesterday, but we didn't end up doing it because some people were sick and it was so cold here (it got down to -20F last night).

I was going to use this song as a refrain for the psalm, with these verses from Psalm 62:


For God alone my soul waits in silence;
from him comes my salvation.
He only is my rock and my salvation,
my fortress; I shall not be greatly moved.

For God alone my soul waits in silence,
for my hope is from him.
He only is my rock and my salvation,
my fortress; I shall not be shaken.

On God rests my deliverance and my honor;
my mighty rock, my refuge is God.
Trust in him at all times, O people;
pour out your heart before him;
God is a refuge for us.

After hearing some discouragements expressed this past week in our small group, I was thinking that the strong interconnectedness and interdependence of our lives here probably makes it harder to resolve interpersonal problems. Every aspect of our lives seems to depend on the participation and support of others here. So it can feel very threatening when there are conflicts, or when someone doesn't seem to be contributing well. And those emotions usually just make the conflict worse.

What difference does it make if we truly believe (and experience) that our lives depend on God alone? That he alone is our support and safety and future? I expect that would help ease our anxiety and demands of others, and allow us to serve others in the community more freely.