7.06.2006

our prayer

Sterling, VA

Success! Heather got her visa and will finally fly to Nigeria next week. She's excited, and so am I.

And Chris, the man who gave us a long ride yesterday, later showed up at the library where he had dropped us, and took us to dinner at Pizza Hut. Then paid for us to stay in a motel! Some good conversations with him as well. After enjoying the all-you-can-eat breakfast buffet at the motel this morning, we left feeling very well provided for.

In honor of Heather's trip to Africa, I thought I'd offer Charles DeFoucauld's famous prayer of faith. He was French but served God mostly in northern Africa. And this prayer also expresses my current feelings quite well, both for myself and for Heather...


Father
I abandon myself into your hands
Do with me what you will
Whatever you do I thank you
I am ready for all, I accept all

Let only your will be done in me
And in all your creatures
I wish no more than this, O Lord
Into your hands I commend my soul

I offer it to you
With all the love of my heart
For I love you, Lord
And so need to give myself

To surrender myself into your hands
Without reserve
And with boundless confidence
For you are my father