7.05.2005

dear pastor

Because of the ride Sunday night, I didn't get to visit that pastor who told me I couldn't stay at his church (because he couldn't supervise me). So I sent him this note yesterday:

Dear Pastor,

I wrote to you about a week ago, because I was walking through your town and had met Pastor Avers two years ago. As it turned out, I didn't need a place to sleep last night after all. A man offered me a ride before I got to your church (and I wasn't even asking for a ride). Now I am in Ann Arbor, MI, at a friend's house.

But I wanted to send you a note since I didn't get to talk to you in person. To let you know that I had good experiences at your church with Pastor Avers. I don't know how often he welcomed strangers, but he certainly welcomed me.

The first time I stopped there, asking if I could sleep outside the church (as I often do), he invited me to stay inside on one of the couches. And I recall he also offered me some gift certificates to a fast food restaurant, which were very much appreciated. Then, on my walk back from New York, I stopped at your church again. This time Pastor Avers offered to take me to a nearby motel and paid my bill there. I walked to the church the next morning for services. There I met and talked with several people about my journeys, and one woman offered to drive me to Woodville. As we were leaving, Pastor Avers offered me some money (though he said he doesn't usually do that) and his prayers.

I just thought he listened pretty well to Jesus' words, "I was a stranger and you welcomed me." (Mt 25.35) And also, "Do not neglect to show hospitality to strangers, for thereby some have entertained angels unawares." (Heb 13.2) I don't know if he preached about these things much, but he practiced them.

If you have an address for Pastor Avers, feel free to forward this to him with my thanks. But mostly I just wanted to share with you my previous experiences at your church.

peace,
Paul