5.16.2005

more on sustainability

I didn't mention anything Jesus said or did about material sustainability, maintaining property (or income) long term. Because I couldn't think of any examples. I don't think there are any. This morning, though, I did think of one thing he said that could be interpreted to support sustainability concerns:

Which of you, desiring to build a tower, does not first sit down and count the cost, whether he has enough to complete it? Otherwise, when he has laid a foundation, and is not able to finish, all who see it begin to mock him, saying, 'This man began to build, and was not able to finish.'

Or what king, going to encounter another king in war, will not sit down first and take counsel whether he is able with ten thousand to meet him who comes against him with twenty thousand? And if not, while the other is yet a great way off, he sends an embassy and asks terms of peace. (Lk 14.28-32)
In seminary, I heard this passage used to encourage prudent money management. But I had to question that interpretation when I read the very next verse: "So therefore, whoever of you does not renounce all that he has cannot be my disciple."

That neither seems prudent nor a good way to produce a sustainable ministry. But it matches very well with Jesus' own life and ministry.