3.30.2005

made for walking

I still have the sandals I used two years ago (when I walked from Chicago to New York City and back). I made them from truck tires, using a design I found online and saws and chisels from the shop here. Here's how they look:



Though I made a few adjustments. After about the first ten miles, I took off the tab at the heel because it was rubbing (and it's really not necessary). And I just added a used pair of leather insoles with some arch support and padding. That makes them much more comfortable. And should also be easier on my socks, so they last longer. The sandals have already lasted about 1200 miles and I expect them to carry me through this summer as well.

He has kept my soul from death,
my eyes from tears,
and my feet from stumbling;

I will walk in the presence of the Lord
in the land of the living. (Ps 116.8-9)